- Phulchowki Dada, the highest hill in Kathmandu Valley at 2,782 m/ 9,127 ft
- Phulchowki Temple, religious hilltop
- Bird’s eye view of Kathmandu Valley
- Alluring mountain range view; Gaurishanker Himal, Langtang Himal, Ganesh Himal, Annapurna range
- Bird Watching in Subtropical Forest
- National Botanical Garden, Godawri Park
- Professional, certified, and friendly guide
Phulchowki Dada (Hill) is the highest hill situated inside and around Kathmandu Valley at 2783 meters/ 9,127 feet from the sea level. Literally, Phul means Flower, chowki means Garden and dada means Hill so it is the hill of flowers and indeed it is which also gives the bird’s eye view of Kathmandu and magnificent mountain range view. Phulchowki Dada is located in the Lalitpur district where Patan Durbar Square is also located.
Pulchowki Dada (Hill) day hike is an opportunity to have a short escape from the valley and lead oneself to tranquility and enjoy the views this Dada is offering.
Phulchowki Dada (Hill) Hike Trail Detail
Phulchowki Dada (Hill) day hike journey starts with a ride of about one hour to the Godawari area and the walk for some hours. The trails go through the green jungles with proper staircase, rough trails as well as through widen up off-road. The forest is termed to be sub-tropical. During March-April the full blooming rhododendron flower (national flower of Nepal) changed the entire look of the hill into white and red.
Likewise, the Pulchowki day hike trail lets you enjoy different species of vegetation. The trail is also widely popular and praised for the bird watching such that you can see different species of birds like Flycatcher, Rufous-bellied Niltava, Yellow-browed Tit, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Black-winged Cuckoo-shrike, and many more. At the apex of the Dada, you can enjoy the majestic views of Gaurishanker Himal, Langtang Himal, Ganesh Himal to Annapurna range towards the eastern part.
Additionally, Phulchowki Dada has a temple, a Buddhist shrine and the place is decorated with colorful prayer flags. It is regarded to be a pilgrimage site with cultural values. The temple is of Phulchowki Mai at the top of the hill bordered by the prayers flag. The place is blessed with religious values along with natural beauty.
People rush to Phulchowki Dada during the winter season to enjoy snow in Kathmandu Valley.
National Botanical Garden, Godawari, Lalitpur
In 1962 AD/2019 BS, National Botanical Garden, Godawari, Lalitpur was established. The two British designers G.A.C. Herklots and Tony Schilling designed the Botanical Garden. Since its establishment to date, the garden has widely worked as a center of plant conservation, education, research, and recreation. It spreads over an area of 82 hectares of varying topography, where 40 hectares has been developed into various garden units. It is surrounded by a natural evergreen forest dominated by Schima-Castanospsis and Alnus.
It is located at the foothill of Mt. Phulchowki (2765 m) highest hill of Kathmandu valley. A natural stream (Godawari) runs through the garden. It is an internationally recognized botanical garden and a member of Botanic Garden Conservation International (BGCI). Features of Botanical Garden:
Features of National Botanical Garden, Godawari:
- Floral Diversity: Angiosperms 883 species; Gymnosperms 26 species; Pteridophyte 91 species.
- In-situ conserved plants: 453 species
- Ex-situ conserved plants: 557 species
- Botanical Information and Exhibition Center
- Thematic and Plant Landscape Gardens: Physic garden, Biodiversity education garden, Rock garden, Fern garden, Japanese style garden, Special garden, Terrace garden, Rare and endangered plant garden, Lily garden, Taxonomic family garden (Bentham and Hookers classification system), Tropical plant house, Coronation pond (aquatic plant garden), Rose garden, VVIP plantation garden, Ethno-botanical garden, Canna path
- Garden Sections: Garden Development Section, Conservation and Education Section, Medicinal Plants and Information Section, and Floriculture Section
Guide for Phulchowki Dada (Hill) Day Hike
The guide will lead you to Phulchowki Dada (Hill) Day Hike. The number of guides depends on the number of individuals registered for the Phulchowki Dada (Hill) Day Hike. Each group of 4-5 pax is assigned with one guide.
The guide with Nepal Government-certified license is only assigned to lead Phulchowki Dada 1 Day Hike. Additionally, the guide is also trained in first aid and eco-tourism. Usually, an English speaking guide is available but on request Chinese and other language speaking guide can be made available. The guide will lead as well as inform you about the locality, culture, rules, importance. Overall, the guide will have the feature of friendliness, leadership, communication expert, and jolly nature.
Transportation at Phulchowki Dada (Hill) Day Hike
Early morning after you have your breakfast, the guide assigned by the Nepal Adventure team will come to pick you up for the hike. You will have a short drive from your pick up point to Godawari. Similarly, you will be driven back to your station. A private vehicle will be used for your transportation which may be a car or van as per the group size.
Food and Drinks on Phulchowki Dada (Hill) Day Hike
Lunch will be provided during Phulchowki Dada 1 Day Hike. Basically, lunch includes typical Nepali food: Dhaal(lentil soup), Bhat (Rice), Tarkari (Vegetable/Chicken curry), and pickle.
A Mineral water bottle is handed to you prior to the hike.
Checklist for Phulchowki Dada (Hill) Day Hike
- Light and Comfortable shoe
- Weather appropriate clothing (moisture-wicking/ quick-drying cloth is best)
- Lightweight fleece or jacket/ windproof jacket
- Sunglasses and Hat/ Cap to cover the face from direct sunlight
- Hiking stick and bag (optional)
- Umbrella or waterproof jacket
- Sunscreen of 60 SPF +
- Snacks, juice, and energy bar (if you want)
- Water bottle/ water purifier/ water chemical treatment (if you prefer)
- Hand sanitizer, toilet paper
Booking and Payment for Phulchowki Dada (Hill) Day Hike
For the day hike, the cost is minimal so the full payment is requested for booking Phulchowki Dada 1 Day Hike. Even at the last moment, Phulchowki Dada 1 Day Hike can be booked. For any cancellation, the amount cannot be refunded as the amount will be allocated for the preparation of the hike.
You can make the payment in cash and credit card where a 3% - 4% additional charge is imposed if you pay through the card. You can also pay through the following services:
A. Online Payment
Please Click Here for online payment.
B. Bank Transfer
Bank Name: Himalayan Bank Limited
Bank Address: Tridevi Marga, Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal
Account Name: Nepal Adventure Team Pvt. Ltd
Account No: 01906210910018
Swift Code: HIMANPKA
An experienced and certified guide will be leading your Phulchowki Dada 1 Day Hike. Usually, tourists and hikers tip guides as an appreciation for their polite and loyal services towards them. So, you may tip the guide as per your satisfaction with their services. The tipping guide is not compulsory. It is not forced by the company and it is solely your decision.
Request by Nepal Adventure Team:
Nepal Adventure Team believes in and practices responsible for tourism. We request each traveler to maintain a clean area. You are also requested to care for flora and fauna you encounter on Phulchowki Dada 1 Day Hike.