Tourists are always welcome in Nepal such that, easy facilities of Tourist visa is created. Either you can apply in Nepalese Embassy located in your own country or On Arrival visa can be obtained in Nepal.
Tribhuvan International Airport is the only international airport of Nepal. Immigration Office, TIA (Tribhuvan International Airport) under Department of Immigration has been facilitating tourists flying to Nepal by providing Visa on Arrival.
Besides, Tourist visa may also be obtained at any of the following entry points:
A. Immigration Offices along Nepal-India border
- Kakarbhitta, Jhapa,
- Birganj, Parsa
- Balahia Bhairahawa,
- Jamunaha, Nepalgunj,
- Mohana, Dhangadi,
B. Immigration Office along Nepal- China border: Kodari, Sindhupalchok
C. Immigration Office, Pokhara (not the entry point).
If you have obtained visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions, then you must enter Nepal within six months from the visa issued date. Your total stay is counted starting from the day you enter into Nepal.
On Arrival visa has multiple Re entry facility.
Please follow these simple procedures for Tourist Visa on Arrival at the airport (TIA) :
- 1st Step
- Fill in ' Arrival Card '
- Fill in ‘Tourist Visa’ form (you can fill it up prior to your arrival from official website Department of Immigration / fill it up using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport). If you fill online form, you get submission Receipt with barcode, please print and bring it along for acquiring visa. It is valid for fifteen days.
- 2nd Step
- Make payment at the bank according to your visa requirement ( 15/30/90 Days)
- Get the receipt
- While you can use different modes of payments (at visa fees collection counter), we advise you to carry some cash to be on the safe side.
On Arrival Visa Fee
- For 15 Days – USD 25 (multiple entries)
- For 30 Days – USD 40 (multiple entries)
- For 90 Days – USD 100 (multiple entries)
- 3rd Step
- Proceed to the Immigration Desk with your online form, payment receipts and your passport
- Hand in your documents to immigration officer for visa processing. He/she issues visa to you as per the criteria.
Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)
Gratis Visa is issued free of cost in case of following categories of Visa applicants:
- Children below 10 years
- Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year. Afghan citizen are eligible for Gratis Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of Department of Immigration. If you are an Afghan citizen, you can request concerned institution inviting you to Nepal for necessary paperwork with Department of Immigration to get you Gratis Visa 'On Arrival'.
- Non Residential Nepalese(NRN) card holder ( issued by MoFA /Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad)
- Chinese Nationals
- Officials from China, Brazil, Russia and Thailand do not need Entry Visa based on reciprocal visa waiver Agreement
Visas of all kinds including ‘Gratis’ issued at the Airport are Tourist Visas. Contact Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. Tourist Visa extension can be done from Immigration Office, Pokhara too. Non tourist visa extension can be done only at Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of maximum one year (except business visa).
The applicant must fill in the information requested in the application form. It is the right of the Government of Nepal to grant or not to grant visa to any foreigner.
Document required for Tourist Visa:
- Duly filled in Visa Application Form (download form)
- Valid Passport (at least for six months)
- One recent photograph (2X2)
- A money order payable to the Embassy of Nepal. (Two or more applicant can send single money order multiple of visa fee. Personal checks, cash and credit cards are not acceptable.)
- A prepaid return envelope with tracking number and sufficient postage to return passport/s. (if you are sending documents by couriers/post)
Note: Applicants are required to send prepaid return envelope with tracking number to return back passport/s. Embassy is not responsible for any undelivered passport/s because of the insufficient postage, a weak envelope to bear up the load and other incidents occurred during handling of the documents by couriers/post.
- Visa once issued cannot be withdrawn and visa fee cannot be refunded. It must be used within six months from the date of issue.
- It takes five business days to issue visa after the application is received by the Embassy.
- Tourists carrying more than 2,000.00 US dollar or equivalent foreign currency are requested to declare in the Custom Declaration Form at the time of arrival in Nepal. Those returning from Nepal with undeclared money exceeding US $ 2,000.00 or equivalent foreign currency may be interrogated for further legal actions in accordance with Foreign Exchange Regulation Act of Nepal.
- Tourists traveling by car should possess a valid Passage de Carnet
- Visa on Travel Document:
- If you are holding reentry permit travel document, you have to follow the requirements mentioned in No. 1 above. Embassy may ask for additional documents, if required.
- If you are not holding reentry permit travel document, you have to submit a sponsor letter in addition to the requirements in No. 1 above. Applicants are required to contact the Embassy soon after the sponsor letter is submitted to the Embassy.
For more information about Nepalese visa, please visit www.nepalimmigration.gov.np