Trip Difficulty: Moderate
Trip Style: Tea House Lodge Trek
Transport: Private Vehicle / Bus / Aeroplane
Food: Breakfast + Lunch + Dinner
Accommodation: Hotel + Tea House Lodge
Group Size: 2
Max Elevation: 4353 m
- Lo-Manthan; Forbidden Kingdom
- World’s Top 10 monk leads the Tiji Festival
- Classic and Authentic exposure to century-old ceremonies and rituals
- Panorama View of the world’s 7th highest mountain-Dhaulagiri and Gangapurnna, Tukuche, Manaslu, Thorang
- Kali Gandaki George, World’s Deepest George
- Muktinath Temple- high value for Buddhists and Hindus
- Traditional Palaces, Monasteries, and caves formed on high cliffs
- Ghar Gumba- oldest monasteries
- Desert landscape with spires and cliffs as well as dense green hills and woods
- Kagbeni - Holy Kaligandaki river valley
- Diversified culture, tales, and lifestyle of Gurung, Tibetan, Thakali, Magar, and like
- A Unique History of Lo-Manathang
- Tranquil, unexplored, and unspoiled trails with few/no settlements
Upper Mustang Tiji Festival Trek 2023 is a trekking package to attend a fascinating annual three-day festival consisting of Tibetan rituals that celebrate the myth of a son who had to save the Mustang kingdom from destruction. The Tiji festival date is the 16th, 17th, and 18th of May 2023.
The Tiji festival, which locals call Tenchi Festival is a monk dance festival celebrated every year in Upper Mustang, Lo Manthang. According to Tempa Chhirim, Tenji: commonly pronounced Teeji or Tiji means “ Prayer for World Peace”. Upper Mustang, is a place highly influenced by Tibetan- Buddhism and the only untouched preserved safe zone for Tibetan Buddhism. According to His highness Dalai Lama “Authentic Tibetan culture survives only in exile in a few places like Mustang, which has had long historical and cultural ties with Tibet.” The main priest of the Tiji Festival is one of the Top 10 Buddhist priests of the World.
The festival is only celebrated in indigenous Lo-Manthang, Upper Mustang. Over the Mustang during the Tiji festival time, monks dressed in elaborate costumes and masks perform dances and rituals that are supposed to drive away evil spirits. The Tiji festival dances are all organized by the Choedhe Monastery and led by the monks, which belong to the Sakya sect of Buddhism. The monastery is headed by a Rimpoche, the Top 10 Buddhist priests in the World. About 65 monks from Lo Manthang, Nhenyul, and Chhosyer reside in this monastery. They practice religious and traditional dances for months just to perform at Tiji Festival.
The Tiji Festival begins with the opening of the 400-year-old banner of the respective Lord who conquered the demons and brought peace. The Tiji Festival gets held in the town’s main square. On the first day, monks integrate the dances and complex ceremonies to lead the world towards peace, evoke God and purify ground for further days of the Tiji Festival. The second day is lit as different dances are performed with drums, masks, attitude, swords, and the ragging of demons. The king of Lo comes to the town’s main square and settles on the throne for the ongoing Tiji Festival. The third day is all about winning over demons and destruction and welcoming peace.
Tiji Festival Date on 2023 in Upper Mustang
Since 2019 Tiji festival did not celebrate for 3 years because of Covid-19. The local people of Lo-Manthang decided to celebrate the Tiji festival in 2023 on the 16th, 17th, and 18th of May. The Tiji festival date had been fixed according to the Tibetan Lunar calendar, and it goes on for days and praying for world peace Puja.
Nepal Adventure Team arranges the fixed departure for the Upper Mustang Tiji Festival Trek 2023 as per the customized requirements for the attainment of the Tiji festival. The highest altitude you face is 4353 meters with windy and chilly weather. You may have a chance to grab an easy way to travel on Upper Mustang Tiji Festival Jeep Ride Tour option.
Passport & Visa
All foreign nationals, except Indian citizens, need visas to enter Nepal. Getting a visa must be the easiest one though. You just have to go to the Nepalese Embassy/consulate in your country or it can also be obtained upon your arrival at Kathmandu International Airport. To get a visa, you need to bring 2 pp size photos, visa fees, and a valid passport.
Tourist Visa Fees: 3 days transit visa - Free of Cost
15 Days – 30 USD
30 Days – 50 USD
90 Days – 125 USD
For more information, please contact the Department of Immigration.
Tel: 00977-1- 4429660 | 4438862 | 4438868 | 4433934
E-mail: [email protected]
Travel insurance is a must when you travel abroad. Therefore before you come to Nepal, please make sure you have your insurance documents with you since our insurance companies cannot insure foreign nationals. Because of the reason that they cover all the expenses if you face some unfortunate happenings and you have to be rescued or medically assisted during the trip or if your belongings are lost or stolen.
First Aid Kit/High Altitude Sickness
Nepal Adventure Team strongly suggests that you have your own personal first aid or medical kit. This trip takes you to some high altitudes though not much but the slow walks and regular stops between the walks will help you acclimatize to high altitude saving you from the high altitude sickness called AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness). Gaining altitude without proper consideration of AMS is fatal.
Equipment and Packing Lists
After booking with Nepal Adventure Team, please pack the necessary items as listed:
- Travel documents: passport, visa (If you have one), travel insurance, air tickets, voucher, passport photo (x 2)
- Bank cards or credit cards, travelers' Cheque, etc
- Comfortable boots and runners/sports shoes.
- 6-8 pairs of socks woolen/cotton. Fleece jacket, Down / Duvet Jacket, and Rain / windproof jacket.
- Gloves- 2 pairs.
- T-shirts 4-6 pcs, shirts (woolen/cotton).
- A cap for the day and a woolen hat or Balaclava for evening/morning wear.
- Short and tracksuits.
- Sleeping bag (4 seasons) with inner liner.
- Large and small towels.
- Water bottle.
- Sun /snow glass.
- Ski/walking poles (optional but useful).
- First Aid/medical kit.
- Duffel Bags (carried by porters or animals).
- Torch / Flashlights with spare batteries.
- Pen knife/ Swiss knife.
- Scarf/mask (for dust and wind).
- Personal hygiene stuff.
- Any other extras you feel are necessary like binoculars, cameras, books, journals, and more.
Trekking has been long established in Nepal, so the itineraries are modified and moderated in such a way that you can take it easy and slow. DO NOT RUSH AND ENJOY. There is plenty of time and the guide will keep track of you all the time. It might be a bit harder or a bit colder but you will get used to it.
Every traveler is different and they spend their own way. Some spend on food and drinks while others on souvenirs. Either way, consider your own spending habits and also tipping, emergency fund ($200), etc before you pack up and leave.
Trip Specific Safety
Your guide is always there for your safety concerns and looking after your valuables. But you have to be equally careful. Carry some sort of wallet or belt for your important documents and money. The hotels have a safety deposit box where the lock is recommended before passing the luggage.
A Couple of Rules
Possession or use of any illegal drugs is totally intolerable. It is because of the law that respects the local people and their culture. The group will be expelled in such a case.
Nepal Adventure Team strongly believes that we all are equally responsible to act in favor of the local people and the surrounding environment. Our clients too have an important role to
- Respect the local laws, customs, and beliefs
- Always ask for permission before doing something local or consult the leader
- Keep the area the same as you found it, wherever you go, and dispose of rubbish
- Support local skills to encourage positive sides of tourism.
Feedback and Reviews
This is very important for us. After your travel, we want your feedback whether it is good or bad since that's the way we can thrive further. To motivate you to finish the review or feedback online, we are going to give you an 8% discount on your next trip with us. Outstanding isn’t it?
For all the additional information, go to contact us or send a message and call directly to Mr. Jeevan Thapa Magar +977 9851234322 (Viber/WhatsApp)