Trekking is considered an extreme sport that involves and requires strenuous efforts, and difficult and tiring meandering mountain trails, on foot. With diverse trekking options and offering equally beautiful stunning views of the Himalayas, with no doubt that Nepal is a trekker’s Paradise.
Based on their complexity, trekking is classified into 3 categories easy, moderate, and difficult. But no matter how easy a trek may be, without pre-planning and proper trekking equipment, you are going to get tired and unable to continue your trek.
Therefore Nepal Adventure Team presents your complete guide on trekking equipment in Nepal.
The Essential Trekking Packing Check List
The essential trekking equipment guarantees your comfortable and enjoyable trekking journey. It is crucial and mandatory to pack only the necessary things for your trek. Not having the right equipment and trekking shoes will not only significantly decrease the pleasure of trekking in Nepal, but in the worst case be life-threatening.
Here is a complete list of trekking equipment that you must include in your backpack.
- A good quality comfortable backpack
- Sleeping bags
- Camping mattress (for tented accommodation)
- Camping tent (for camping trek)
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Trekking boots with spare laces
- Footwear (running shoes or, sandals)
- Gaiters (optional)
- Warm track pants or joggers-2
- Lightweight cotton long trousers
- Full sleeve sweatshirts-2
- Fleece jacket
- Fleece wind-stopper jacket
- Lightweight socks-2
- A pair of thermal gloves
- Raincoat or rainwear
- Beanie or woolen cap
- A sun hat or, cap for protection against the sun
- Toiletries: soap and paper soap, face wash, toothbrush, and toothpaste
- Trekking boots
- Sunglasses with UV protection
First Aid Medicine
- Bandage for sprains
- Plasters/Band-aids in different shapes and sizes
- Different size medical wound dressing gauze pad
- Antiseptic ointments
- Anti-diarrhea medication
- Brufen 400 mg tablets
- Water purification tablets
- Diamox or, Acetazolamide for high altitude sickness
- Disposable sterile gloves
- Face shield
- Drying towels
- Feminine hygiene products
- Toilet paper
- Biodegradable soap
- Camera (optional)
- Trekking poles
- Sunscreen lotion
- Lip balm
- Water bottle
- Journal and pen
- Travel game
Where to Shop the Essential Trekking Equipment in Nepal?
Streets of Thamel, the main trekker’s hub is the best place to find reliable shops for essential trekking items. You can also seek help from your travel company which is organizing your trek. They will easily track down the best shops in town for you, where you can buy or rent trekking equipment at an affordable price. In some cases, if you visit those shops with your travel operator, you might get lucky and have a huge discount on some items you are going to purchase.
Things You Should Know Before Buying the Trekking Equipment
If you are buying trekking equipment in Nepal, then before buying the trekking equipment, you need to consider a lot of things.
- The time of year you are going to trek
- Trekking days
- Maximum altitude of the trek, etc.
Also if you are a one-time trekker or, you have no intention to trek in the future, it is best to rent trekking equipment rather than buying. It is just a waste of money. But if you are a multi-time trekker and love trekking every now and then, then you want to invest in good equipment that will last a lifetime.