Nepal trekking permit information

All of the visitors has to get the permission to travel to a particular place known as trekking permit because most of the places are either protected or controlled and also for the safety reasons. One or two of the following permits are to be obtained before you embark on a specified journey.


1. Permits for Restricted Area

There are some controlled areas listed as restricted areas by the government. These trekking routes are only issued to the groups not to the individual trekkers. The permit is issued by the Department of Immigration located at Dillibazar, Kathmandu.
Tel : 977 – 1 – 4429659 / 4429660 / 4438862 / 4438868
Fax : 977 – 1 – 4433934 /4433935
Email :
Web :

For all of the permit fees check this link:

Note: To get the permit, an application form has to be submitted with relevant documents through a registered company.


2. Entry Permit for the Conservation area

Entry Fee (Per Person) to visit Annapurna Conservation Area (ACA), Manaslu Conservation Area (MCA) and Gaurishankar Conservation Area (GCA):
For SAARC Nationals: NRs 200
For other Nationals     : NRs 2,000

The following location issues the required permits:

Kathmandu: Nepal Tourism Board ,Bhrikutimandap, Kathmandu (for Annapurna, Gaurishankar & Manaslu)
Opening hours: Sunday to Friday except on public holidays. 9 am – 5 pm

Pokhara: Nepal Tourism Board, Tourist Service Centre, Pardi Damside (for Annapurna only)
Opening hours: Sunday to Friday except on public holidays. 10 am – 5 pm


  • Entry fee is not required for the children under 10 years of age.
  • The permit is valid for only one conservation area and is non-refundable and non- transferable.
  • 2 pp size photos are required while applying.
  • The entry permit has to be carried on your own during the entire trip.


3. National parks entry permit

There are many national parks in Nepal. For example Sagarmatha National Park, Langtang National Park and Chitwan National Park which are most popular among many. The proper permit is necessary to enter these protected places for which the prices will differ as shown below:


4. Trekkers’ Information Management System(TIMS)

You need TIMS card whenever you go for a trekking and is applicable to mostly all of the places. TIMS card is implemented as to control the illegal trekking operations and ensure the safe and smooth travelling for all the trekkers. This system is very necessary as when something out of the ordinary happens in the remote area since all the records are kept in the data entry, the rescue operation will be fast and easy. In addition, this will keep track of all the visitors and will be easy to locate them if they lose their track just in case. Trekking Agencies Association of Nepal (TAAN) and Nepal Tourism Board (NTB) started TIMS from 2008. Followings are the contacts to obtain TIMS:

Kathmandu (NTB Office, TAAN Office, and Government registered trekking Companies).Working hours.
Pokhara (NTB Office, TAAN Office, and Government registered trekking Companies). Working hours.

Note: A copy of Passport and 2 copies of pp size of photographs is needed.


For further information, please feel free to chat with us or contact us.


Got a question? Don't hesitate.
+977 9851234322